Florum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FatM confessions

+4
jazzlover1003@hotmail.com
excellentpotato
Siggi
maxim380
8 posters

Go down

FatM confessions Empty FatM confessions

Post  maxim380 Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:47 am

I know we all agree that Florence is perfect, but there are still a few things you might not like about her or her music.
I'm going to start this by saying:
1. I don't like Girl With One Eye. The Live on Letterman version is the only good version that I've ever heared.
2. I think Florence looked horrible when she bleached her eyebrows.
3. I don't like Spectrum. It's a great song when they perform it live, but the album version isn't great. And the Calvin Harris remix is even worse.

maxim380

Back to top Go down

FatM confessions Empty Re: FatM confessions

Post  Siggi Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:30 am

Now this could get interesting lol

1. I kind of get the feeling that Flo tries too hard to seem interesting and quirky during interviews, like when she talks about 'shamans' and stuff like that, but she has sort of stopped with stuff like that recently.
2.I don't like the way she sometimes relies to heavily on her new backing choir, letting them hit all the high notes, especially during Spectrum. I think it's better on the album but the TOTP performance was really good.
3.I really don't like 'You got the love', her version or the original and it's kind of a shame that it was her first big hit and the one that usually gets played when it's just a cover.
4.Bedroom hymns should have made the proper album instead of Lover to lover.
5.I do like it but everyone involved in making the No light video should have been more careful with that imagery.

Siggi
Siggi

Back to top Go down

Post  maxim380 Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:13 am

Siggi wrote:Now this could get interesting lol

1. I kind of get the feeling that Flo tries too hard to seem interesting and quirky during interviews, like when she talks about 'shamans' and stuff like that, but she has sort of stopped with stuff like that recently.
I never really noticed this, but it is true.

Siggi wrote:2.I don't like the way she sometimes relies to heavily on her new backing choir, letting them hit all the high notes, especially during Spectrum. I think it's better on the album but the TOTP performance was really good.
This is also true
Siggi wrote:3.I really don't like 'You got the love', her version or the original and it's kind of a shame that it was her first big hit and the one that usually gets played when it's just a cover.
I really like the album version of YGTL, just not the version they played live during the Ceremonials tour.
Siggi wrote:4.Bedroom hymns should have made the proper album instead of Lover to lover.
I strongly disagree on this one, Lover to Lover is a great song, it's one of my favourites. Bedroom Hymns should have been on non-deluxe version, but instead of Breaking Down or Seven Devils.
Siggi wrote:5.I do like it but everyone involved in making the No light video should have been more careful with that imagery.
I'm not a big fan of the No Light, No Light video (or all the other ones) but I always fail to see why people think it's racist or something...

maxim380

Back to top Go down

Post  Siggi Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:38 am

Lover to lover sounds like such a generic soul song to me tbh, but it sounds quite good live and the single version was an improvement. I don't dislike it but it's quite 'meh' to my ears.

Actually I love the live Ceremonials version of YGTL, with the slow string intro, especially the Albert hall version.

I didn't get why people thought it was racist at first either but I saw some explanations about the controversy that make sense. Scary evil voodoo crazy man (who I think is painted green but it looks black in some scenes) chases a white woman who is saved by 'good' white Catholic boys. Voodoo is not an 'evil' religion, that's a stereotype, so I can see why it would have rubbed people up the wrong way.
Siggi
Siggi

Back to top Go down

Post  excellentpotato Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:11 am

1. I sometimes hate Flo's taste in music. Like Nicki Minaj for instance...or her obsession with Lady Gaga (which I fail to understand in general haha)
2. I find the Breaking Down album version rather boring, I would've axed that one and put Bedroom Hymns instead. (I love Lover to Lover though Wink )
3. I hate You've got the love, too! When I found out it was a cover I felt like "this makes sense!!"
4. I hate all remixes of FATM songs. Yes, all of them! I wish they had just put more live versions on the 2nd Between two Lungs disc instead of these stupid remixes. And I think the fact that everybody mostly choses the Calvin Harris remix of Spectrum is a sin! Laughing
5. When I first heard an actual record of FATM I was super disappointed. Now I got used to them being far less brilliant than the live performances though... Laughing
6. The entire racist thing is something she and her camp have to take a look at! The people who are sensitive about these things can be really really radical! I can't watch the No Light, No Light video, simply because I know how some people judge this. If you are as open as FATM usually is, you should simply avoid being put into this category because of stereotyped images in videos!
7. Sometimes I have to laugh at how insanely high Flo rates certain singers, when in reality she's on their level or 10 times better (like Rihanna Suspect )
8. I wish Rob had never gotten all of these random tattoos! His arms looked so much better without them... (yeah you can laugh at me now Laughing )

excellentpotato

Back to top Go down

FatM confessions Empty FATM confessions

Post  jazzlover1003@hotmail.com Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:51 am

I agree with some of this. I don't like the remixes, can't stand the rap and it doesn't go well with Florence's voice. Also I did not like how she was "butched up " for "Sweet Nothing" She is so good she should never be "featuring". She is a lot better than a lot of the musicians she admires. But I love YGTL and "girl with one eye".

jazzlover1003@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Charly78 Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:22 am

I don't like Remain Nameless. It doesn't sound like the other songs of Ceremonials. It's the only FATM song I never listen.
I whish the band released the video and a single for Hurricane Drunk instead to re-release Dog Days and a second video for this song in 2010.

Siggi wrote:Now this could get interesting lol

4.Bedroom hymns should have made the proper album instead of Lover to lover.

I agree ! Bedroom Hymns is one of my fave song from Ceremonials. I think Lover To Lover and Breaking Down should be on the deluxe version, and Bedroom Hymns and Strangeness & Charm on the 12 tracks version.
Charly78
Charly78

https://twitter.com/CharlesBinick

Back to top Go down

Post  maxim380 Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:26 am

Charly78 wrote:

I agree ! Bedroom Hymns is one of my fave song from Ceremonials. I think Lover To Lover and Breaking Down should be on the deluxe version, and Bedroom Hymns and Strangeness & Charm on the 12 tracks version.

No! Lover to Lover is amazing! I agree on Breaking Down, but I really don't like Strangeness & Charm. I 'hate' it almost as much as Girl With One Eye, and those are the only 2 songs I always skip.

maxim380

Back to top Go down

Post  Siggi Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:49 am

^I love strangeness and charm, but the screamy bit annoys me since I can't make out what she's saying at all.

I don't really like the re-release video of DDAO either but it did help her break out into the mainstream on the other side of the Atlantic. The hurricane drunk video was boring, more of a fashion shoot really, I loved the crow outfit though, as well as the edited version of the song. I have the video on my I-pod.

Blinding should be a part of the setlists again, it's one of the best songs live.
Siggi
Siggi

Back to top Go down

Post  maxim380 Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:43 am

YES! I'd love to see Blinding live Very Happy I'm hoping they'll play it on the third tour

maxim380

Back to top Go down

Post  Melisery Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:21 am

excellentpotato wrote:1. I sometimes hate Flo's taste in music. Like Nicki Minaj for instance...or her obsession with Lady Gaga (which I fail to understand in general haha)

Hahaha this! I really don't understand her taste in music compared to the music she makes. But on the other hand she introduced me to some good music like Haim and Spector. And I basically got more into Kate Bush and Fleetwood Mac because of Flo. I obviously knew them before Florence + the Machine, but I only recently really started listening to them. Just don't think I'm one of those fangirls who likes everything Flo likes, please Razz
Melisery
Melisery

Back to top Go down

Post  excellentpotato Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:34 am

Melisery wrote:
excellentpotato wrote:1. I sometimes hate Flo's taste in music. Like Nicki Minaj for instance...or her obsession with Lady Gaga (which I fail to understand in general haha)

Hahaha this! I really don't understand her taste in music compared to the music she makes. But on the other hand she introduced me to some good music like Haim and Spector. And I basically got more into Kate Bush and Fleetwood Mac because of Flo. I obviously knew them before Florence + the Machine, but I only recently really started listening to them. Just don't think I'm one of those fangirls who likes everything Flo likes, please Razz

Well, I think you can compare Flo's taste in music and her music to my taste in books and the stuff I actually write. My book taste is very very wide yet I only write two genres myself. So if what comes out of her brain happens to be alternative music with lots of drums and choirs, good for her and all of us! Laughing (People who like everything Flo likes...how old are they? tongue )

excellentpotato

Back to top Go down

Post  Melisery Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:42 pm

excellentpotato wrote:Well, I think you can compare Flo's taste in music and her music to my taste in books and the stuff I actually write. My book taste is very very wide yet I only write two genres myself. So if what comes out of her brain happens to be alternative music with lots of drums and choirs, good for her and all of us! Laughing (People who like everything Flo likes...how old are they? tongue )

Yeah, I'm not complaining, I mean she likes what she likes. It's actually none of our business. Though, I'm not really fond of the latest collaborations. Especially the A$AP Rocky one. I've listened to it a few times and it's just not my cup of tea. Kanye West is neither, but can't really give an opinion on that before I've heard it, can I?

Oh and another confession, most of the time I love Flo's clothing but this dress looks like a birthday cake or something. FatM confessions Floren10
I think it's ugly, but I don't have a sense for fashion. So... Razz
Melisery
Melisery

Back to top Go down

Post  mortifiedduck Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:47 pm

Melisery wrote:
excellentpotato wrote:Well, I think you can compare Flo's taste in music and her music to my taste in books and the stuff I actually write. My book taste is very very wide yet I only write two genres myself. So if what comes out of her brain happens to be alternative music with lots of drums and choirs, good for her and all of us! Laughing (People who like everything Flo likes...how old are they? tongue )

Yeah, I'm not complaining, I mean she likes what she likes. It's actually none of our business. Though, I'm not really fond of the latest collaborations. Especially the A$AP Rocky one. I've listened to it a few times and it's just not my cup of tea. Kanye West is neither, but can't really give an opinion on that before I've heard it, can I?

Oh and another confession, most of the time I love Flo's clothing but this dress looks like a birthday cake or something. FatM confessions Floren10
I think it's ugly, but I don't have a sense for fashion. So... Razz

hahahahahaha, birthday cake, what i wouldn't give for Flo to be my birthday cake
mortifiedduck
mortifiedduck

Back to top Go down

Post  Siggi Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:11 am

Was that the MET gala she was at when she wore that dress? I think I heard clothes are meant to be weird for that event for some reason.

Siggi
Siggi

Back to top Go down

Post  mortifiedduck Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:09 am

Siggi wrote:Was that the MET gala she was at when she wore that dress? I think I heard clothes are meant to be weird for that event for some reason.

Well the woman behind her being photographed isn't in a weird dress.
mortifiedduck
mortifiedduck

Back to top Go down

Post  excellentpotato Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:29 am

well, I remember a video where she talks about chosing her dress for that event and I saw it and thought: Oh my God, this looks like a Christmas tree! And this comes from someone who likes 90% of what she wears so... Laughing and I've seen other people at the MET ball and they didn't look like trees or presents Wink

excellentpotato

Back to top Go down

Post  Pre-Raphaelite_Beauty Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:26 pm

1. I don't like Bedroom Hymns . It's kind of complected why I do not like BH but I guess it has a lot to do with my faith. I am fine with Florence using Catholic imaginary in a poetic way and I think that she is respectful. I guess I drew the line with BH because I really did not like the line "Such selfish prayers" and lines that to me seem to allude to oral sex being compared to Holy Communion. I think the song is about a person who feels that sex is both holy and profane (which I think one of the positives of the song is it's honesty). I think that sex is apart of life and should be dealt artistically but I just wish that Florence would have been more careful with how she wrote about Holy Communion. I do not however think that Florence ever meant to hurtful. She's not like that at all.
2. I love FATM cover of You've Got the Love but I do not like the video. The video for YGTL was one of the last videos that FATM made for Lungs but it has poor quality. I think the dance Florence does on the moon seem over the top and does not fit the song. I really did not like that her outfit was not fitted to her vary well so while on the moon she keeps mooning audience. O_o
3. This says way more about me then it does FATM but it really bugs me that Florence does not enunciate " and dive straight in" in Drumming Song so it was really hard for me to even tell what she was singing at that part.
4. Speaking of Drumming Song, I much prefer the normal live version of it as opposed to the drum-less acoustic one. Yes, Florence does do a good job singing the song acoustically but it's called Drumming Song! There needs to be drums! (I was super happy when I saw her live that FATM did play Drumming Song with drums. ^_^)
5. Iv'e hard of Florabella and Flobert but am I the only one who ships Florence with Tupac's hologram?! Just putting that out there...O_ohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOJheZeBN9s
Pre-Raphaelite_Beauty
Pre-Raphaelite_Beauty

Back to top Go down

Post  Siggi Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:28 pm

Pre-Raphaelite_Beauty wrote:1. I don't like Bedroom Hymns . It's kind of complected why I do not like BH but I guess it has a lot to do with my faith. I am fine with Florence using Catholic imaginary in a poetic way and I think that she is respectful. I guess I drew the line with BH because I really did not like the line "Such selfish prayers" and lines that to me seem to allude to oral sex being compared to Holy Communion. I think the song is about a person who feels that sex is both holy and profane (which I think one of the positives of the song is it's honesty). I think that sex is apart of life and should be dealt artistically but I just wish that Florence would have been more careful with how she wrote about Holy Communion. I do not however think that Florence ever meant to hurtful. She's not like that at all.
2. I love FATM cover of You've Got the Love but I do not like the video. The video for YGTL was one of the last videos that FATM made for Lungs but it has poor quality. I think the dance Florence does on the moon seem over the top and does not fit the song. I really did not like that her outfit was not fitted to her vary well so while on the moon she keeps mooning audience. O_o
3. This says way more about me then it does FATM but it really bugs me that Florence does not enunciate " and dive straight in" in Drumming Song so it was really hard for me to even tell what she was singing at that part.
4. Speaking of Drumming Song, I much prefer the normal live version of it as opposed to the drum-less acoustic one. Yes, Florence does do a good job singing the song acoustically but it's called Drumming Song! There needs to be drums! (I was super happy when I saw her live that FATM did play Drumming Song with drums. ^_^)
5. Iv'e hard of Florabella and Flobert but am I the only one who ships Florence with Tupac's hologram?! Just putting that out there...O_ohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOJheZeBN9s

She says 'and dive straight in'? I thought it was 'And I stray in' the whole time.

I thought BH was her mixing imagery of two opposites. The church always goes on about how sinful sex is and she's just mixing the imagery up. I remember her saying in an interview that she likes religious imagery, but isn't religious in anyway herself, so maybe she didn't realise people would find it dis-respectful.

Siggi
Siggi

Back to top Go down

Post  Pre-Raphaelite_Beauty Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:47 pm

Siggi wrote:
Pre-Raphaelite_Beauty wrote:1. I don't like Bedroom Hymns . It's kind of complected why I do not like BH but I guess it has a lot to do with my faith. I am fine with Florence using Catholic imaginary in a poetic way and I think that she is respectful. I guess I drew the line with BH because I really did not like the line "Such selfish prayers" and lines that to me seem to allude to oral sex being compared to Holy Communion. I think the song is about a person who feels that sex is both holy and profane (which I think one of the positives of the song is it's honesty). I think that sex is apart of life and should be dealt artistically but I just wish that Florence would have been more careful with how she wrote about Holy Communion. I do not however think that Florence ever meant to hurtful. She's not like that at all.

She says 'and dive straight in'? I thought it was 'And I stray in' the whole time.

I thought BH was her mixing imagery of two opposites. The church always goes on about how sinful sex is and she's just mixing the imagery up. I remember her saying in an interview that she likes religious imagery, but isn't religious in anyway herself, so maybe she didn't realise people would find it dis-respectful.

For a while I thought it was "And I prostrated" but when ever I look up the lyrics it says "and dive straight in." Only Flo knows what the lyrics really are... Question

I think that Flo was just trying to be poetic in BH but it is not my cup of tea. That is all. ^_^
Pre-Raphaelite_Beauty
Pre-Raphaelite_Beauty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down